20.11.12

A new idea in a new coat

I had an idea. It was based on project I had done last summer. During the Sideways Festival I walked with a group of artists from one end of Belgium to the other end. We did projects on the road and in the festival weekends. I wore the same 3 piece walking suit every day. From the outside it got stained, worn-out, torn. It showed the traces of the trip. I used the inside as my notebook, embroidering thoughts, sketches, other peoples' words in my coat,vest and trousers.
After the festival I decided I would get myself a new suit, wear it for a longer period of time during "normal circumstances". And that is what I'm aiming for now.

I talked about this idea with a number of people and somebody commented that it was a rather shy approach and that I should think about communicating the work more. This made me think and I realized it wasn't the first time I heard this comment. In one of the first exhibitions I did outside the academy I made a work which was the biggest work in the exhibition. Some people didn't see it though because they walked over it without noticing it. I was accused of being a bad artist because I hadn't made sure the audience noticed my work. I returned the accusation by saying that I could just as well call the people not noticing my work a bad audience because they hadn't been observing very well.

I realize it is a fine line. And I know there is a lot of hiding, invisibility, researching inside-outside going on in my work. I like to think about perception, about what we see and what we don't see, challenging the audience to look at the world around them more carefully. I also know that a certain amount of intimacy can create the danger of making the work too private.

Anyway. Here are some pictures of the suit and of some earlier projects that relate to it in some sort of way. And I'll be thinking about how the inside of my new suit will relate to the outside world. I've been doing some research about wearing suits and writing travel diaries in the last decades. More about that later.