5.12.11

Fade to black


I managed to get my hands on a few of the last packs of "Fade to black" Artistic Z Polaroid film in the world. This polaroid film was produced by the no longer existing company Polaroid and this particular badge of film was actually a faulty product. Once the film got out of the camera it looked beautiful but within minutes the colours started to change, getting darker and darker, turning into a completely black image within 24-72 hours. I'm still not sure how, but I have the feeling I could do some interesting things with this film in a semester devoted to memory.

The other day I was talking to people about how you sometimes remember the photo of a particular moment and not the moment itself. Something completely the opposite is desribed in a book in which people write about how they remembered a particular moment because they very specifically chose not to take a photo or because something went wrong in the process of catching the moment (it's somewhere in my house, I'll post the title later). A few weeks ago I was in Buchenwald and was amazed how everybody was taking photos of the ovens in the crematorium, almost without looking at them, just being concentrated on taking the image.
There's a lot to say about the medium of photography and how people use it and I might write a bit more about that soon. But first I'm going to try out the "Fade to black" film.