2.6.12

moving words

There's something stuck in the back of my head. I read it a few days ago and now, whenever I read something or when I'm walking, this line jumps up and down in my head. Being itself proof of what it meant to say. I'll translate it, since it was written in Dutch by the poet Tonnus Oosterhoff who recently won one of the, if not the biggest awards for poetry in Holland: the P.C. Hooft Award. He was one of the first poets in Holland who started using the possibilities of the new media and made "moving poems" in Flash. You can see some examples on his website here.

This is what he wrote in his speech when he received the award:

" I'm known in this country because of my 'moving poems', but poems on paper move just as well"

in Dutch:

" Ik ben hier te lande bekend vanwege mijn 'bewegende gedichten', maar gedichten op papier bewegen net zo goed."

He means it in the literal sense of the word "moving" (although this doesn't exclude the figurative meaning of "moving").

It makes me think of the opposite as well. How things stand still while moving. Me for example.